Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Magic Of The Twilight


The last Zelda game I had played was The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on my good old GameBoy. And I still remember how much fun that was. Since, I had been an exclusive PC gamer - until last Christmas. So one can imagine how very pleasantly surprised I was when I discovered that this is a whole new ...sword-game.

In The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess the world is immense and beautiful and mostly open-ended. The graphics may be inferior to the latest PC games (Wii graphical capabilities are not one of its strong-points) however, I cannot remember when cutting-edge graphics were essential in the enjoyment of any cRPG. Having said that, the environments (from the grass and the creeks to the trees and the skies) have been designed to maximize the console's potential in most instances.

Not so with the sound: good music but low quality sound. And the dialogues are still scripted, not voiced. It makes no sense to hire top talent to compose the themes and sounds - only to present them badly.

The use of the motion-sensing Wii-Remote together with the Nunchuk follows a steep learning curve. Once mastered though the real fun begins. Moving with the Nunchuk and fighting with the Remote make the game such an immersive experience. Swinging the Wii-Remote actually swings Link's sword - and aiming in the screen will ail your arrows and projectiles.

It surprised me and brought back memories at the same time - and I had not have so much fun in years.

And never forget: It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

No comments:

Post a Comment