Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Personally, I Pity The Hornets!

If the The Complete Sherlock Holmes marked my childhood and The Lord of the Rings is the most memorable from my early teen years, Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy is the one I shall remember from my mid-thirties. And this book was a most fitting conclusion to the series.

In this third and final book of the trilogy (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest), Lisbeth Salander is bedridden, recovering from a gunshot to the head. She is isolated from all her friends and the world whereas her enemies amass their forces to fall upon her fragile existence. In the same ICU, only a few meters away, lies her biological father - and nemesis. Not only does he recover faster but, once more, he seems about to slither out of trouble. No matter, anyone who underestimates Lisbeth is doing this at his own risk. The last 250 pages of this book will simply blow you away.
For a book originally written in Swedish, I have to mention the superb job done by the translator, Reg Keeland. No, sadly I do not speak  Larsson's native tongue, yet, even in translation, the language flows naturally, never trapped in awkward phrase structures, whereas the Swedish names of places and organizations remind the reader to mind the culture gap.

Personally, I found the second book (The Girl Who Played with Fire) the best of the three. No matter though, they were all masterpieces. You do not have to read them in sequence to enjoy each book but I would suggest it only to get the most out of them. With Larsson's untimely death these three books are all we are ever going to get.

Simply, not to be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment